The Institute employs a diverse team of statisticians, economists, peace and conflict experts, communication specialists and thought leaders. Our team is constantly expanding and we are always looking for new talent.
We accept CVs for Research Fellow positions on a rolling basis and consider them as future opportunities arise. Please send CVs directly to [email protected]
Senior Communications Specialist
Location: Institute for Economics & Peace – global head office, Sydney, Australia
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Deadline: Monday 20 March, 2023
IEP is seeking a Senior Communications Specialist to join the IEP communications team. The Senior Communications Specialist will be responsible for media relations, content creation, publishing processes and project management. The successful candidate will be an experienced communications professional who has a proven track record of delivering high-quality communications products in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. The Senior Communications Specialist will report to the Director of Global Communications.
In this role you will be overseeing:
- Media relations – execution of IEP’s media strategy including international media outreach.
- Content creation – Create and deliver media, corporate and digital content.
- Publishing processes – Manage the proofreading and layout process for IEP content.
You will be engaging with a global audience, delivering cutting edge information with global significance. Our primary function is helping to build peace through the power of research, insight, and partnerships. Though a small team, we enjoy a yearly global reach of over 30 billion media, broadcast, and social media impressions. This is a unique opportunity to experience measurable, global impact through your work and to further build your career.
We are looking to hire a highly motivated individual who enjoys hard work and demonstrates strong initiative. An excellent communicator, you’ll understand how to effectively communicate with – and market to – various global demographics. You enjoy working independently, as well as contributing collaboratively. You’re a team player who is driven, creative, passionate about the use of media and communications to help create a better world.
The role works in collaboration with the Communications team and reporting to the Director of Global Communications. The role is focused around three key areas:
- Media relations – in collaboration with the Director of Global Communications, execution of IEP’s media strategy through international media outreach, media briefings and events
- Content creation – Create and deliver press releases, media relations content, case studies, executive bios, corporate newsletter & blog content, social media content, and speaking proposals.
- Publishing processes – Manage the proofreading and layout process for research reports and communications materials, copy edit and revise where necessary.
Daily duties and responsibilities:
- Lead the development and execution of communication strategies and plans for IEP’s projects, including research reports, events, and other activities.
- Project manage communications activities, including creating timelines, coordinating with internal teams and external partners, and ensuring timely delivery of communication products.
- When required, oversee the communications team, providing guidance and support to ensure high-quality work and adherence to timelines.
- Oversee the production of communication products, including media releases, op-eds, social media content, website content, and other communications materials.
- Coordinate media relations activities, including pitching stories, developing media lists, and cultivating relationships with journalists and media outlets.
- Work with IEP’s research teams to develop communications products that effectively communicate research findings to different audiences.
- Monitor and analyse media coverage of IEP and its work and provide regular reports to the Director of Global Communications and other stakeholders.
The Selection Criteria:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, or a related field.
- At least 5 years of experience in communications, with a focus on project management and team management.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Excellent project management skills, with a proven track record of leading and motivating teams to deliver high-quality work.
- Strong writing and editing skills, with experience in developing a variety of communications products for different audiences.
- Experience in media relations and working with journalists and media outlets.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to work effectively with internal teams and external partners.
- Familiarity with peacebuilding, conflict prevention, and related issues is a plus.
If you are a highly motivated and experienced communications professional with a passion for peacebuilding and conflict prevention, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity to join our team at IEP.
Information & to Apply
Location: This position is based full time at IEP headquarters in Sydney, Australia.
Only candidates with full working rights for Australia and who are in Australia will be considered for the role.
Hours: 9:00 – 5:30pm, Monday – Friday. This is an office-based role with an international focus and may, from time to time, require evening or early morning conference calls.
Remuneration: The Senior Communications Specialist remuneration salary package will be commensurate with experience.
Applications to: CV and cover letter addressing the selection criteria and desired personal qualities to [email protected]
Deadline for applications: Monday 20 March, 2023
Website: www.economicsandpeace.org, www.visionofhumanity.org
Check out our LinkedIn for more info
You can also connect with us on LinkedIn to see the latest news and opportunities.