Join us at the 2023 Doha Forum for a roundtable discussion on 'Reinvigorating Peacebuilding: Optimizing Regional Solutions and Revitalizing Global Engagement'.
The world has more active violent conflicts now than at any time since the end of the Second World War and our ability to build sustainable peace has never been more urgent. By rethinking international cooperation, we can use peacebuilding to address root causes of violent conflict, build local capacity, ensure inclusion, accountability, and transparency while increasing solidarity and social justice. What are the roles of global and regional cooperation in building durable peace after an agreement is signed? What are the steps necessary for taking forward the UN Secretary-General’s New Agenda for Peace?
- Prof. Sultan Barakat, College of Public Policy, Hamad Bin Khalifa University and Director, Global Institute for Strategic Research (Opening remarks 3-4 mins)
- Michele Griffin, Director, Our Common Agenda Team, Executive Office of the Secretary-General, United Nations and former director of the Mediation Support Unit, UN Department of Political Affairs (Opening remarks 3-4 mins)
- Ms. Cristina Petcu, Deputy Director of the New York Office, Institute for Economics and Peace
- H.E. Mr. Fariz Rzayev, Deputy Foreign Minister, Azerbaijan
- Mr. Thomas West, Special Representative for Afghanistan, U.S. Department of State
- Ms. Joanna Wronecka, Special Coordinator for Lebanon, Office of the UN Special Coordinator for Lebanon (UNSCOL)
- Amb. Sani Saulawa Bala, Executive Director, Savannah Centre for Diplomacy, Democracy & Development
- Prof. David DesRoches, Associate Professor at the Near East South Asia Center for Strategic Studies at the National Defense University
- Ellen Laipson, Director, International Security Program, George Mason University
- Prof. Lise Howard, President Academic Council on the UN System and Professor of Government and Foreign Service, Georgetown University
- Prof. Erin McCandless, Visiting Professor, Hamad Bin Khalifa University; Senior Fellow, Global Institute for Strategic Research
- Prof. Joris Larik, Assistant Professor of Comparative, EU, and International Law at Leiden University and Senior Adviser (Non-Resident), Stimson Center
- Dr. Richard Ponzio, Senior Fellow and Director, Global Governance, Justice & Security Program, Stimson Center